Re: NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle

From: Daniel Patrick
Subject: Re: NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 10:09:18 -0600

Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

On Sun,  3 Feb 2002 07:41:17 +0100 (CET)
Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

If  I  remember well,  tearing  off  Macintosh  menus is  done  simply
dragging (or  command-draggin) from the  menu out to the  desktop. The
normal behavior of Macintosh menu does  not allow for any place in the
menu to  click, because as soon as  you release the mouse  button in a
menu or menubar, the menu closes.

Now I can't say about MacOSX menu, I don't have used it yet.

AFAIK in Mac OS X you cannot tear menus off, this is deprecated. It only worked
in Rhapsody and Mac OS X Server 1.x

-Phil

It is depreciated in OSX. However, submenu's off the horizontal menu have some 'dead space' at the top that could be utilized as a point to grab the menu and tear it off. My concern is that this may not be intuitive enough. Torn off's could look just like NeXT menu's. This would allow the best of both menutypes.

Another problem that I see with the NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle is that OSX relies on the app to display it's title as the first menu item where GNUstep uses the title of the app's main menu. Anyone have any idea's as to how this could be represented on the horizontal menu?

For now, though, I'll see about putting some tear-off's into the mac interface style. Shouldn't be tough, since I disabled it in the first place. (:

Dan