Re: Compatibility issues

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Compatibility issues
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 23:16:09 +0000

On Friday, February 1, 2002, at 07:09 PM, Enrico Sersale wrote:

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Please note, I have just made minor changes to the gui and xgps
libraries which need to be matched
with changes in the base library.  This means that if you are using
gui/xgps from CVS, you must also
use the CVS version of the base library.

This should not (I think) effect binaries/executables, just building the
libraries from source.

This only to note that, after these changes, or, perhaps, since yesterday,
starting (and also quitting) an application, takes four five more time.

How are you benchmarking this?

The changes concerned in my email are all of the form -

#define GSI_MAP_KEY_RETAIN(A)           [A retain]

becomes -

#define GSI_MAP_KEY_RETAIN(M, A)                [A retain]

ie. there is an extra argument to the macro, but that argument is not used,
so the generated code should be identical (which is why the compatibility
issue should only arise when compiling, not with binaries).

If it's previous changes ... the main thing is a switch from using select() to using poll() in NSRunLoop, and a load of changes to the internals of NSRunLoop which should have speeded it up (though that was not the reason for making them). Unfortunately I don't have any NSRunLoop benchmarks though, so I'd be really
interested in your benchmarks.