Problems building gnustep-gui-0.7.0 on RedHat 7.1

From: Mario Martelli
Subject: Problems building gnustep-gui-0.7.0 on RedHat 7.1
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:27:31 +0100 (CET)

Hello to everybody,

I'm new to GNUstep. I'd just set up a RH7.1 System and decided to use
WindowMaker as my prefered Desktop-Environment.
I've realized, that I've to build GNUstep if I want to use applications
like Aileron or GNUMail.

I've built:
WindowMaker 0.80
GNUstep-make, GNUstep-objc and GNUstep-base.

Then I ran into deep trouble to build GNUstep-gui. After searching the net
for information, I've got, that I've to downgrade my gcc. So I've
downgraded to 2.95.2 19991024 and made another attempt to built
GNUstep-gui with the result:
$> ./configure
checking for main in -lm... no
checking for rintf... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... no
checking for main in -lz... no
checking for -ltiff without -ljpeg nor -lz... no
checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... no
configure: warning: Cannot find libtiff
* The GUI library reqiures the TIFF library
* Use --with-tiff-library to specify the tiff library
* directory if it is not in the usual place(s)
* You may also have to specify --with-jpeg-library if the jpeg
* library is needed by tiff,
configure: error: gnustep-gui will not compile without tiff

With my RH 7.1 there is LIBTIFF, Version 3.5.5

strings /usr/lib/libtiff.so | grep LIBTIFF
LIBTIFF, Version 3.5.5

And I've tried to use either 3.5.6beta and 3.4 in /usr/local/lib and

 ./configure --with-tiff-library=/usr/local/lib
--with-jpeg-library=/usr/lib

with always the same effect :(

Does anybody have a suggestion?

regards Mario