Tech question spawned by [Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donati

From: Robert Hartley
Subject: Tech question spawned by [Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of Proprietary Software to the Project]
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:00:14 -0500

I read somewhere about a CPU that had open microcode last year.

This got me thinking about the ability to upgrade the microcode on Intel
Pentium chips, which they can (and do?)provide updates for.  (I won't get
into a discussion on the Pentium chips being a mere VMware 'clone' encased
in plastic, ergo we all have to go to another platform if Intel refuses to
publish their micro code.)

Has anyone explored these new open sourced microcode CPUs?

Details?

thanks,

Robert

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> FYI.
>
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-12-21-005-20-OP-CY

> GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of Proprietary Software to the
> Project
> Dec 21, 2001, 07 :07 UTC (1 Talkback[s]) (933 reads)
>
> By Adam Fedor, Chief Maintainer of the GNUstep Project

<snip>