GNUstep newbie questions!

From: Michael Thaler
Subject: GNUstep newbie questions!
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:46:06 +0100

Hello,

I installed GNUstep yesterday, following the excellent GNUstep build
guide stable. I didn't have any problems installing GNUstep on my
Debian/unstable system.

I also downloaded GWorkSpace, compiled and installed it and it works
fine. Now I also tried to compile GNUmail.app and I got a compile
error:

In file included from AddressBookController.m:23:
AddressBookController.h:36: Cannot find interface declaration for
`NSWindowController', superclass of `AddressBookController'
make[1]: ***
[shared_obj/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/AddressBookController.o] Error
1
make: *** [GNUMail.all.app.variables] Error 2

~/gnustep/GNUMail$ locate AddressBookController.o
~/gnustep/GNUMail$ locate AddressBookController
/home/michi/gnustep/GNUMail/AddressBookController.h
/home/michi/gnustep/GNUMail/AddressBookController.m

So I don't have an AddressBookController.o file on my computer. Did I
forget to install anything?

I read The NextStep Objectiv C guide which is really interesting. I
would like to play around a little bit with GNUstep. What is the best
way to start? Is there something like a simple hello world application
that just pops up a window, prints out some stuff?

What is the difference between GNUstep and the Cooco? Is it useful to
read a book about programing Cooca to learn programming for GNUstep?

I hope this is the right list to ask these questions. I am really
interessted in GNUstep and would like to learn more about it!

Greetings,
Michael