Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:30:13 +0100

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:12:03 +0100
> > From: Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com>
> >
> > Hi all,
> > The machine, and I talk about the hardware (harddisk), that has a GNUstep
> > app that you want to run also has gpbs installed. If that is started at boot
> > time, we have a gpbs server running that is machine dependend.
> >
> > If every user get's a temporary database in his/her home dirctory that
> > records all cuts and the gpbs server it is stored on, you could then paste
> > it in every app the user is running.
> >
> > Downside is the network traffic...
> >
> > Dennis
>
> Ok. Let's suppose that you have the following configuration:
>
>     hostA1 10.0.0.1 running gs App1 and gpbs server1
>     with DISPLAY=10.0.0.2:0.0
>
>     hostA2 212.87.205.57 running gs App2 and gpbs server2
>     with DISPLAY=212.87.205.58:0.0
>
>     and
>
>     hostX3 with two ethernet cards eth0 212.87.205.58
>                                and eth1 10.0.0.2
>            running a X server, display :0, screen :0.0
>
> Now, on hostX3, you copy data from a window of App1, and paste it to a
> window of App2.
>
> Please explain  how this  can be  done by your  gpbs server1  and gpbs
> server2. Remember that gpbs server1 is  on a host on a private network
> and that no  routing exists between 10.0.0.0/8 and  the Internet where
> gpbs server2 is.

If hostX3 knows about routing then the problem is solved, but I guess that is
not
what you are aiming at.
You mean if hostX3 doesn't know about routing... well I guess you are stuck and
should be.
The reason why hostX3 doesn't know about routing is probably a security issue.
So
if you could bypass the security AS A NORMAL USER by copy and paste, well...
(fill in yourself)

Dennis