Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:50:02 +0000 (GMT)

> No that's not right. If we are drawing in pixels then that's an
> oversight on our part. We should be drawing things to points, just like
> in PostScript.  The X server should have all the information necessary
> to make this transformation and it should be easy for us to set up the
> initial scaling of a window to be correct when it is created.

The X server knows the DPI of the screen only if you explicitly pass it
the -dpi option (I don't), otherwise it uses a default which is normally
wrong.

As an example, my X server thinks my screen is a 75 dpi but I just made
the computation and found out it's a 98 dpi.

Anyway it's ok - if you want to use pseudo-points as the units of
everything, instead of pixels, then it's Ok - but you should scale all the
graphics (images included) as well by using the screen assumed dpi - not
only fonts.  The point I was making (and that I still make) is that
everything must be scaled in the same way, you can't scale fonts in one
way and the rest in another way, otherwise it's unusable, as currently is.