Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 20:12:53 -0800

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:43:58 +0530
"V.Krishna Kumar" <birbal77@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
On Tuesday 08 January 2002 08:48, you wrote:
> > I suppose we should really test if adding TrueType fonts by themselves
> > causes the X server to crash or it is mutiple things that cause it to
> > crash.

I haven't been able to crash X through any GNUstep app/tool - yet ;-)

> I've had weird problems with XFSTT. So I stopped using it and instead
> switched to X's freetype extension. Since then everything is working fine.
> Iam using only TT fonts now. BTW, I use Mandrake 8.

Running BSD4.2 and BSD4.4 with XFree 3.3.6 (yea, I know) in three
different "modes" yield:

a plain XF86Config (about 1280 fonts)
        font_cacher crashes, font's look fine though
  (XF86Config is as it was after installation of X11)

a minimal XF86Config with xfs (about 3260 fonts)
        font_cacher crashes, fonts too large
  (every font entry replaced, except Local, by an entry for xfs)

a minimal XF86Config with xfs and xfstt (about 6340 fonts)
        font_cacher crashes, fonts too large
  (same as above, plus entry for xfstt)

I tried XFree 4.1.0 briefly - same results.

--
Chris