Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 20:30:30 -0700

Nicola Pero wrote:

The graphic shows that your fonts are being rendered to their point size
instead of their size in pixels, which is how GNUstep (incorrectly) used to
handle fonts.

pixelSize = round (pointSize * (dpi * (1/72)))

As a user and/or as an application writer, I don't understand how this is
supposed to work.

We draw lines and rectangles and fill colors using pixels.  All right,
probably in postscript if you draw a line of width 1 and length 3 in the
standard scaling that is supposed to draw a line of xxx millimeters of
width and 3*xxx millimeters of length, but the fact is we ignore that and
always draw a line of width 1 pixel and length 3 pixel (I seriously doubt
you can draw lines in millimeters on the screen anyway, since the pixel
size depends on the monitor and I don't think there is a way you can know
the exact pixel size from software, and if you can't know the exact pixel
size, no way you can draw in millimeters, you can only draw in pixels).

No that's not right. If we are drawing in pixels then that's an oversight on our part. We should be drawing things to points, just like in PostScript. The X server should have all the information necessary to make this transformation and it should be easy for us to set up the initial scaling of a window to be correct when it is created.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics            | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you