Re: GSVBox or maybe NSSplitView - Resizing Problem

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GSVBox or maybe NSSplitView - Resizing Problem
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:11:06 +0000 (GMT)

> Greetings!
>
> I have a very simple window:
>
> [=============+==============]
> [ TABLEVIEW     |  FORM             ]
> [                       +--------------------]
> [                       | TEXTVIEW ]
> [=============+===============]
>
> My main window content view is the NSSplitView, which has two views, my
> NSScrollView containing a NSTableView and then a GSVBox containing a
> NSForm and another NSScrollView which contains a NSTextView.
>
> My problem is that the right pane (Form/TextView) does not resize.

The problem is with using the NSSplitView.

The NSSplitView is setting the subviews' frames using setFrame: directly
rather than resizeSubviewsWithOldSuperviewFrame: as normally done in
response to resizing by the user ... it's using `hard ways' rather than
the more polite ones ... I'm thinking we might make the GSVBox code
smarter so that it can manage that ... anyway I'll think about that - in
the meanwhile here is a recipe to fix your resizing problem whatever will
be done to NSSplitView and GSVbox ... Just create an intermediate NSView
and put the GSVbox inside it - that NSView will convert the hard resize
into a mild one and it should work -

  NSView *viewA = AUTORELEASE ([NSView new]);
  [viewA setAutoresizesSubviews: YES];
  [viewA setFrameSize: [formVBox frame].size];
  [viewA addSubview: formVBox];

And then add the view instead of the vbox to the splitview -

  [splitView addSubview: viewA];

hope that helps