NSArchiver on Win32 and cross-compatibility with Cocoa?

From: Angus Gratton
Subject: NSArchiver on Win32 and cross-compatibility with Cocoa?
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:17:08 +1100

Hi folks,

I've been looking at using the NSArchiver class to store my document data files (a combination of primarily strings and sounds - probably using SndKit.)

However, it has to run on both Windows (Win32/mingw compiler) and Cocoa (using Apple's foundation kit) and I understand that the GNUStep and Cocoa Archiver files aren't compatible, right?

Is there any way you can use the GNUStep Archiver format even if you don't use anything else from GNUStep (I don't want to force my users to install all the GNUStep stuff on OS X.)

Am I daydreaming? Do I need to byte the bullet and make my own encoder/decoder methods for this data?

Thanks,

Angus