Re: Feeling about GS file browsing

From: Erik Dalen
Subject: Re: Feeling about GS file browsing
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:02:57 +0100

On 2001-12-27 11:20:39 +0100 "Peron, Stéphane"
<stephane.peron@dcmc.creditlyonnais.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As I often use Gnustep programs, I often use the gnustep standard file
> browser that many programs have.
> (e.g GNUMail.app)
>
> I would like to say that I am always embarrassed by the way files are shown.
> I mean, files and directory are together in the same target rectangle.
> My problem is that I have, as many of us, many files and directories.
> So, each time, I loose many time to find the directory I want to come in.
>
> So my question :
> Why the default gnustep browser wouldn't show files and directories
> separetly  as many other files browsers ?

Well, it's the way it's done on OpenStep. I actually find the gtk filebrowser
very annoying doing that. But I think that perhaps the gnustep filebrowser
could print directories in bold or another colour to make them more easily
distinguable. Or do like the filebrowser on amiga which listed directories
first and then files.(it also had directories in blue).

But I really think the gnustep filebrowser is a lot better than the gtk one.
One thing though, the buttons on the bottom, floppy disks aren't really as
commonly used as when NeXTStep was made. couldn't the floppy disk icon be
exchanged for a small computer that took you to the root? Or something that
took you to the Network?

/Erik