Re: beginner questions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:01:29 +0000

On Wednesday, December 26, 2001, at 12:28 PM, dlatt@alqualonde.de wrote:

A second, bigger puzzle is the memory management.
It seems very confusing to me how objects
returned by methods, pointed to by instance variables or
auto variables is/should be managed. Who should release
them or should they be autoreleased...

Where can I best read about the concepts concerned?

Shamefully, while this is a FAQ and gets answered repeatedly, I can't find
a decent reference in the current GNUstep documentation.

I'll try to pull together various resources and combine them into something
in the GNUstep documentation.

In the meantime, rather than write stuff out in detail, I'll refer you to the article at stepwise ... http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Technical/2001-03-11.01.html

If you have questions after reading that, please let me know.