Re: Question about retaining delegates

From: Mirko Viviani
Subject: Re: Question about retaining delegates
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:07:29 +0100

On 16 Dec 2001, Willem Rein Oudshoorn  wrote:

> Recently I was bitten by the fact that NSBrowser does not
> retain it's delegate.  Now I can not easily check this
> behaviour on OpenStep, but isn't this a bug?

No, it's ok because this mechanism avoid retain cycles. If NSBrowser
retain its delegate the two objects (assume the browser and the delegate,
usually the object that creates it) will never be deallocated.

It's used also with the views, the subview does not retain its superview
for the same reason.

---
Bye,
     Mirko  <mirko.viviani@rccr.cremona.it>   (NeXTmail, MIME)