Re: White background in icons and WM integration

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: White background in icons and WM integration
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:18:19 +0100 (CET)

Tyson Whitehead <twhitehe@uwo.ca> wrote:

> > As such, I am looking into and seriously considering the idea of
> > creating a new graphical back-end which is tied to the framebuffer
> > device via the directfb project. As such, WindowMaker will not be
> > used, and a seperate Dock application will have to be written.
> >
> > If anybody has not heard of the directfb project, I recommend you
> > check it out at www.directfb.org It has some really fantastic
> > features, like MMX accelerated alpha-blending ( a good thing to
> > have for gnustep).
> >
> > Chad
>
> Was wondering what your thoughts were on the General Graphics Interface...
>
> http://www.ggi-project.org/

It does not  use floats as coodinates, but ints.  That means that when
you have a  1600x1200 15" lcd, you can't read  anything on the screen,
and you can't point to the 16x16 pixel arrows in the scrolls.

The  biggest   advantage  of  (Display)Postscript  is   that  it  uses
floats. Therefore  when you open a  window of 4  in. x 3 in.,  you can
draw  your stuff  really  device independently,  without counting  the
pixels. The  only defect NeXTSTEP had  was that it did  not define the
scroll arrow as vector drawings, but as fixed resolution bitmaps.

>From the table of contents of the documentation at:
   http://www.ggi-project.org/docs/ggi.html
I don't see anything related to remote displays (-NXHost).

The only positive point I see in GGI is the availability of 17 targets
(x, dga,  aa, fbdev, file,  directx, memory, svgalib,  vcsa, monotext,
multi, palemu, tile, trueemu, vgl, sub).

Not much more than GEM.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around