Re: Use of versioning in archiving.

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Use of versioning in archiving.
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:27:05 +0000

On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 06:13 AM, Gerrit Van Dyk wrote:

Hi all,

I logged a bug yesterday in connection with the unarchiving of NSValue.
Thanks Richard for responding so quickly. I was just wondering now, I saw that the encoding of NSValue also changed without using versioning. Is this
a common practice within GNUstep to change some of the encoding methods
without checking for versioning?

No.
In fact, the 'final' version of my changes included versioning,
moderate optimisation, and a few other fixes and tidyups.

Our system makes use of Blob's in the
database, these blobs are created using archiving and then unarchived when their details are needed. If GNUstep does not check for versioning then our blobs will become unusable the moment the archiving methods change. Should I start using different ways of archiving our objects into blobs, just to make sure that our system will not become unstable with a new release of GNUstep.
I can also see a potential problem over DO if the versions of GNUstep on
either side of the connection is not 100% the same.

Well ... it shouldn't happen. As of GNUstep-base 1.0, newer releases of the code should remain capable of decoding archives produced by older releases
(at least within a major release version).

However, mistakes/bugs will obviously creep in on occasions ... fortunately,
with GNUstep you are better off than with a proprietory system ... if an
incompatible coding change gets in to a release, you can get quicker help
and/or fix the problem yourself and contribute the fix back.