Re: GWorkspace - next steps

From: LHelldorf
Subject: Re: GWorkspace - next steps
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:14:05 +0100

>> Now what do you think of the idea to "nibify" GWorkspace? Are nibs - or
in
>> that case - gmodels supported well enough under GNUstep? Has somebody
else
>> some experience using nibs/gmodels under GNUstep to share (Wasn't
>> GNUMail.app using gmodels or am I wrong here?)?
>
>You're wrong :)
>
>But, GNUMail.app is developped so that it uses nibs under MacOS-X and
>'handcoded guis' under GNUstep.
>
>Why? As far I know, gmodel are deprecated and Gorm doesn't support (yet)
>some very important classes that GNUMail.app uses (like NSBrowser,
>NSTextView, NSTableView, ...).

Are nibs for Menus a problem under GNUstep?

>Let me explain how it should work.
[snip]
>You can look at GNUMail.app source code. It works quite well :)

Thanks for that detailed explanation, it makes many things clearer.

>If some people show interest, I could write a simple graphical
application
>for demonstration purposes (like, a tutorial) that explains in details
all
>the process of developping an app that works equally under GNUstep and
>MacOS-X.

I think that would be a good thing since that tutorial application could
serve as a starting point for new apps. So to say create an app which does
nothing particular but serves as a framework to start with. Maybe just
create a multi doc application using Project Builder and port that to
GNUstep.

>Thanks,
>                Ludovic

Greetings, Lars