Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++

From: Ovidiu Predescu
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 21:59:13 -0800

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:04:26 +0100, LHelldorf@kabel.de wrote:

> >IMO when we talk about standardizing Objective-C, we talk about the
> >runtime system and the language itself. Fortunately the language is
> >pretty much similar across compilers, as the most widely used compiler
> >is the GNU compiler. It may be a problem with the POC compiler of
> >David Stes, we need to talk to him about that.
>
> David Stes, isn't that the guy that hates any NS*-ism concerning
> Objective-C? I remember one thread in comp.lang.objective-c, where David
> Stes was ranting about Apple not using Object but NSObject as the root
> class of their Objcetive-C implementation.

I don't want to defend David Stes here, but as an Objective-C compiler
developer I think he ought to represent his ideas in such a
discussion. There are many neat things in POC that are quite
interesting, like blocks for example. I'm sure some of these ideas
would benefit the GNU compiler implementation in the long run. I think
David's hate of NS*-ism is irrelevant here, as we are talking about
the language and the runtime system.

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>