RE: Dealloc Notification

From: Gerrit Van Dyk
Subject: RE: Dealloc Notification
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:13:07 +0200

Dirk wrote:

>I do not think this is acceptable. Here is why: It breaks compatibility
>with OpenStep.

Well I am breaking compatibility with the Openstep Spec. The Openstep Spec
also does not define EOF. If you investigate the methods implemented on
NSObject in Openstep you will see that there is a whole bunch of methods
implemented in the object that is not in the header, neither in the
specification, ie a lot of private methods. NSObject has got
DeallocNotifications built in under Openstep using EOF, but it is not in the
spec either. Well we could keep the methods private between Foundation and
the DB Library, I just thought that other uses for this would be handy as
well.

>The addition of an ivar in NSObject might increase the memory footprint
>considerably for ANY (even non-db) application. So I think you should
>think of another solution.

Yes, it will increase the size by at least 1 byte per object. Another
alternative is to use hashtables as per my previous email on the subject.

>What you can do is go through the uniquing table from time to time and
>see which objects have a retainCount of 1 and remove that. This does --
>of cause -- not work with circular structures where each object is
>uniqued.

I think this a very bad idea. If I load lots and lots of objects I must
iterate through all of these every time I want to check the uniquing tables.
Why don't use a cleaner more OO approach? GNUstep belongs to us the
developers, why create a lot of overhead if it is not neccesary. Private
methods can do the trick, there is no specification on the use of private
methods or are there?

Regards
Gerrit van Dyk

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged,
proprietary to the company and protected by law. If you are not the intended
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message that do not relate to the official
business of our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.