Re: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 26-10-2001

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 26-10-2001
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:06:39 +0200 (CEST)

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 05:33:09 +0200
> dennis@made-it.com wrote:
> > Adam updated the task list for version 0.7.5 the list is online
> > at [1]http://www.gnustep.org/developers/tasks.html
>
> What exactly is Preferences.app supposed to do? IIRC, the original
> was also used to, not only set GUI, but also system-wide behaviour,
> like start-up.
> That would probably be a bit difficult as nearly every Linux
> distribution uses it's own start-up system, eg SuSE/Yast has
> everything in one file - let alone other OSes, like BSD, Solaris
> or HP/UX ...

The  features of  Preferences.app are  not fixed,  it  loads dynamicly
modules   from  (/NextApps/Preferences.app,  /NextLibrary/Preferences,
/LocalLibrary/Preferences). Here  is a list of  the preference modules
installed on my OPENSTEP 4.2 system, with the format:

    Preference Title                     [icon description]
    ----------------
    Data description

Preferences.app:

    McFilter Preferences                  [McFilter]
    --------------------
    GIF & JPEG imaget filter services

    DefaultsSystem Preferences            [pen on NeXT]
    --------------------------
    General Default editor

    Localization Preferences              [flags]
    ------------------------
    Keyboard, Language, Measurement Units, Paper Size

    Date & Time Preferences               [wallclock]
    -----------------------

    TimeZone, 24h display, NTP Synchronization or date & time setting
    depending on system time source, kind of clock to display in the
    application miniwindow (dock)

    Password Preferences                  [lock & key]
    --------------------
    User's Password Setting

    Keyboard Preferences                  [keyboad]
    --------------------

    Initial Key Repeat, Key Repeat Rate, display keyaboad panel with
    various fonts

    Mouse Preferences                     [mouse]
    -----------------
    Mouse Speed, Double-Click Delay, Menu Button (enabled, disabled),
    Left or Right Setting

    Display Preference                    [display]
    ------------------
    Automatic Scree Dimer (delay), Brightness (hardware), Background
    Color

    Sound Preferences                     [sound speaker]
    -----------------
    Volume, Mute, Output Balance, Input Gain, Input Balance, System
    Beep (list), Audio or Visual System Beep, Use Voice Alerts flag

    Font Preference                       [F character]
    ---------------
    Application Font, Fixed Pitch Font, System Font, Bold System Font

    Menu Preferences                      [menu window]
    -----------------
    Menu Location (graphic desktop), Command-Key Equivalents (Add,
    Remove, equivalent list, Command intput text, Key Equivalent input
    text.

    Services Preferences                  [menu window on a plate hold by hand]
    --------------------
    Browser of services (application, item), Enable or Disable

    Expert Preferences                    [unix grade]
    ------------------
    File-Creation Mask ((Owner, Group, Others)x(Read,Write,Execute)),
    File System Option: Unix Expert (whether to honor .hidden or not),
    Large File System (whether to use lazy loading in file browsers),
    Security Options: Private Window Server, Private Sound Server,
    Protected EPS Display.

    Startup Preferences        [start symbol: circle with vertical bar inside]
    -------------------
    Date and time of next power on,   Turn computer on: After power
    off or failure, At specified time

As  you can see,  Preferences.app only  deals with  user's preferences
which are normaly stored in the user's defaults database.

The   OS  administration   tools   are  stored   in  /NextAdmin   (but
PrinterManager.app which is stored in /NextApps and generaly usable by
any user).

Here is a list of the administration tools available on OPENSTEP 4.2:

    BuildDisk.app
    -------------
    Format disks and copy installations.

    Configure.app
    -------------
    Device driver configuration.

    HostManager.app
    ---------------
    NetInfo: host data, NTP configuration, automatic host
    configuration (DHCP).

    Installer.app
    -------------
    Package installation/removal.

    InstallTablet.app
    -----------------
    Tablet driver installation application.

    NetInfoManager.app
    ------------------
    General netinfo database editor.

    NetInstallHelper.app
    --------------------
    OS installation over the net to several clients.

    NetWareManager.app
    -----------------
    NetWare administration.

    NFSManager.app
    --------------
    NFS administration (import, exports).

    SimpleNetworkStarter.app
    ------------------------
    Use the network, but don't share administrative data, or
    Access shared network resources as a client (netinfo), or
    Provide the services specified below (Services).

    Host name, IP address, Router (none, dynamic, ip adddress),
    netmask (default, automatic, mask), broadcast address (default,
    address), NIS domain name, Limit access to local NetInfo data to
    the local network.

    NetInfo Options: Create the master for a new 2-level NetINfo
    hierarchy, Create a clone of a master on another network master
    address.

    Services: Maintain the master copy of network administrative
    data. Limit access to administrative data to the local
    network. Automatically add new NEXTSTEP systems to the
    network. Require a password to add new computers to the
    network. Run network time server software on this
    computer. Maintain the network's email server. Support SNMP
    network management. Directories exported to the network (Home for
    network users, Shared applications, Shared data).

    UserManager.app
    ---------------
    NetInfo: users and groups, bulk create, bulk delete.

    PrintManager.app
    ----------------
    Editing printer & fax, queue management.

Here, the  tools generaly  store administrative data  (system-wide) in
NetInfo,  and   the  administrator  must   authentificate  himself  as
root. Some of these parameters are stored in /etc/hostconfig too.

In conclusion, I would say that:

   - the Preference.app can be a 100% pure GNUstep application.

   - most of the preferences modules can be 100% pure GNUstep modules,
     merely editing the user's defaults database.

   - some of the  preferences modules would need to  set parameters of
     the underlying display system  (X windows, DPS, etc). Methods for
     setting these  parameters should be  publied by the  backends. We
     may  need backend  specific  preferences modules  to set  backend
     specific parameters.

Regarding the administration tools, I would say that:

   - their need depends on whether we want a stand-alone GNUstep
     system or we just use GNUstep as a GUI object library running
     over any unix system. I mean that administrators may be quite
     happy to use linuxconf, yast or whatever, while users will still
     benefit GNUstep for their applications.

   - in the former case, where we want a GNUstep standalone system,
     obviously we don't need to have a brazillion of variants.  A
     standalone GNUstep system could build and manage its own
     distribution of whatever system (bsd, linux, darwin, etc).

   - in any case, we may want to offer GNUstep administrative tools
     usable on a range of system and distribution, and usable to
     uniformly administrate various systems and distributions on a
     network. Note then that whatever the format and low-level setting
     used by a specific system the administrative data is always the
     same. At least, the high level data presented to the
     administrator. Therefore we could structure the administrative
     tools with a generic front-end, and back-ends specific to a
     distribution class.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around