Re: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 26-10-2001

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 26-10-2001
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:47:40 +0200

"Chris B. Vetter" wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 05:33:09 +0200
> dennis@made-it.com wrote:
> > Adam updated the task list for version 0.7.5 the list is online
> > at [1]http://www.gnustep.org/developers/tasks.html
>
> What exactly is Preferences.app supposed to do? IIRC, the original
> was also used to, not only set GUI, but also system-wide behaviour,
> like start-up.
> That would probably be a bit difficult as nearly every Linux
> distribution uses it's own start-up system, eg SuSE/Yast has
> everything in one file - let alone other OSes, like BSD, Solaris
> or HP/UX ...

That's exactly what I noticed when thinking about LastStep. With that in
mind I first want to finish SPM (the pacakage manager). SPM can be used
on most GNU/Linux systems, and hopefully on most Unix systems too. If
that is complete I would like to spend more time on BULB (BULB is a
Unified Linux Booter). But BULB is more complex since all distros are
dependend on their boot scripts, so that is not something I could change
easily (and the problem grows when I think about other Unix-like
systems), but something I could atleast fix for LastStep to have one
single interface to the systems configuration.

A new release of SPM should be coming witin a month or so, BULB takes a
little longer ;) The idea is in my head, some basic code is written but
not available.
The information pages are there however:
SPM: http://spm.made-it.com/
BULB: http://bulb.made-it.com/

If someone has good ideas for BULB, I am still in the design stage, so
let me know.

Maybe we could build LastStep and create a Preferences.app based on
that. If someone wants to start working on Preferences.app let me know
so we can share some ideas, about the system configuration style,
options, etc.

This is just to let you know what I am working on, not to force anyone
in any direction for the Preferences.app.

Greetings,

Dennis Leeuw