Re: evangilizing Mac developers

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: evangilizing Mac developers
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:27:49 -0700

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:05:25 +0000
Ian Jones <Ian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> > Aurelien <aurelien@fractals.be> wrote:
> >> An article in last month Wired magazine is literaly burying
> >> Linux desktop efforts. The author says Linux simply isn't a
> >> desktop platform,
> > He's right, IMHO.
[...]
> True it requires you to be slightly more computer savy than say
> using macOS, OSX or a microsoft operating system but I believe
> it is worth it for that much

No, because OSX is a UNIX based (ok, Mach + BSD based) OS, kinda
similar to Linux - but with a consistent GUI. It kind of hides
access to the system, as does Weendoze.

Yes, because (the older) MacOS and Weendoze basically are a "take
a seat, boot up and start working" OSes.

It's the nature of UNIX to be much more complicated - not to you
as a computer savvy person, but to the regular Joe, who wants to
do his work, not _administer_ his machine.

As long as there is no "self-administrating" system, as Weendoze,
based on UNIX, and as long as there is no constent GUI with all
kinds of applications, UNIX-based systems will never be in a
position to replace Weendoze.
Don't use your perspective, try to imagine yourself as, say, your
Grandma.

KDE is a good step in the right direction (though I personally
don't like it). The problem with KDE is, it's relatively new,
and people in general don't like changes.

But it's getting OT now...

> >> I also think that Mac developers could be reluctant to port
> >> their apps to GNUstep given its dull appearance (compared to
> >> Aqua, that is).
> > What's so appealing about that Comic- errr Aqua-Look
anyway...
> This kind of comment helps nothing IMHO, I commend any attempt
> to link resources with other developers, aqua looks very nice
> though it may not be to everyones taste.

Precisely. That's why I would like to know why Aqua is so
appealing to some - to me, it just looks like a Comic-book.

> I think that once GNUstep developers have less pressing issues
> then maybe they will start looking at giving the option of
> different themes.

As it stands right now, that would require two sets of themes,
one for GNUstep, and another for your window manager of choice,
unless WindowMaker (or another WM) would closely tied to GNUstep.
Otherwise, you would have (as an example) an Aqua-like theme for
GNUstep-based applications and a Motif-like theme for your WM...

--
Chris