Subject: RE: Serious problems with writing @

From: Ilan Volow
Subject: Subject: RE: Serious problems with writing @
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:09:10 -0700 (PDT)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:24:34 +0100 (BST)
> From: Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk>
> To: Martin Brecher <martin@stupid-design.com>
> cc: discuss-gnustep <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>
> Subject: RE: Serious problems with writing @
>

> > But one tailing question.... why does GNUstep use
> ALT for its shortcuts?
>
> That is in the nextstep tradition ... it's where -
> I'm told - Command used
> to be on nextstep workstations.  I personally find
> it very comfortable,
> more comfortable than Ctrl + q ...

Which is not suprising. The thumb and index finger
(which Alt+key makes use of) are the two most dextrous
of the human hand. This use of Alt is also more
comfortable because the Alt key is in the center of
the keyboard where it is more equidistant to a greater
number of keys than Ctrl, which located completely at
one end of the keyboard and unreasonably far from keys
in the center of the keyboard.

If there is a problem with the use of Alt conflicting
with mozilla/GNOME defaults, I can fix this. Before I
decided that GNUstep was the way to go and that GNOME
was doing many things that were silly from a UI design
and technical standpoint, I was working on creating a
versions of GNOME and of mozilla that used the Alt
keys instead of Ctrl (among other things). I could
continue this work and produce GNUstep "ports" of
GNOME and mozilla (and KDE if anyone wants that).

--Ilan