Re: DO problem: long lasting transfers

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: DO problem: long lasting transfers
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 21:13:02 +0100

On Saturday, October 6, 2001, at 09:14 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On Saturday, October 6, 2001, at 08:49 AM, Rene Cornils wrote:

Hi,

when a server is going to transfer a couple MB of data over a network, the
following exception occurs on the client side:

    NSPortTimeoutException: timed out waiting for reply

After the client has disconnected the server, the server is logging

    write attempt failed - Broken pipe
    No handle for event on descriptor 4
    Port operation timed out - method reply - port was invalidated

IMHO it seems to be that the internal timeout counter is not noticing that indeed data is coming in and fails if the transfer has not been finished
after a certain time.
Is this a bug or how do I avoid the problem?

The timers are to time operation completion .... they have nothing to do with whether data is being transferred or not, only with whether the entire operation has completed. As far as I can tell from Apples documentation, this is the
expected/intended behavior.

The solution should be to increase the timeout(s) for your connection.

PS. The apple documentation now says that the default timeouts are the
maximum values (I don't think it used to say that) ... this is not the case currently in GNUstep ... there is no limit on the timeout values you may set.

I've updated GNUstep base to have the same behavior with timeouts as Apples Foundation ... this means that, unless you set a lower timeout, DO operations
will now hang indefinately until the remote process responds.