Getting a string stream

From: Aurelien
Subject: Getting a string stream
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 21:03:16 +0200

Hi again,

Sorry, this is more a C question, but it could turn out that objective-c has more adequate an answer to my problem...

I have an NSString that I'd like to pass to a function as a stream. This is how I'm trying to implement this:

#include <stdio.h>

[...]
FILE *_stream;
NSString *streamStr =  [[NSString alloc] initWithString: @"..."];
const char *buffer = [streamStr UTF8String];
_stream = fmemopen ( buffer, strlen (buffer), "r" );
[...]

the compiler complains about an "undefined reference to 'fmemopen'"

Seems that my glibc version doesn't support fmemopen. Is something like this possible ? fmemopen is such a basic facility... How can I know the version of my glibc ? Is there another well-known function with the same functionality ?

Finally, are there objc objects to handle streams ?

Aurélien