Re: isKindOf: - GSObjCIsKindOf

From: Marko Mikulicic
Subject: Re: isKindOf: - GSObjCIsKindOf
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 22:34:52 -0400

Laurent Julliard wrote:
Marko Mikulicic wrote:

Objective-c is based on smalltalk and it seems very strange to me that
the concept of "kind" is so deviated, unless some important reason
induced this design decision. Somebody knows why ?
(Strange, I looked in the specs of OpenStep (on gnustep.org) and in the
docs of MacOSX and I didn't find a single word on isKindOfClass.)

Yes there is something in the MacOSX doc. See

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/ObjC_classic/Protocols/NSObject.html#//apple_ref/occ/intfm/NSObject/isKindOfClass:

Thanks.
Now I belive :-)

I still think that this feature is useful
and it seems that the NeXT method isKindOf: should behave as Smalltalk.

Is possible to add a "+ isKindOf: (Class aClass) { return GSObjCIsKindOf(self,aClass); }" to NSObject ?

Marko