Re: installing apps automatically in the ~/GNUstep/Apps folder

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: installing apps automatically in the ~/GNUstep/Apps folder
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 20:30:57 +0200

[...]

>even better:
>
>make install                 (use default location)
>make install-system          (use system directory)
>make install-network          ...
>
>or something similar
>
>You would think a 'user' install should be used if you don't have
>permissions to install in the default way (probably 'local', depending
>on the application).
>
>however this could confuse people (e.g. a forgotten
>'su' before 'make install'). I don't know whether the user should
>be prompted in this case or just being warned or the install should fail.
>
>Any ideas ?

Having make printing out an user friendly error message like

<themessage>
You are not allowed to install <AppName> to /GNUstep/System/Apps.

Can try:
 make install-user : this will install <AppName> into your own Apps
folder

</themessage>

Additionally, it should be checked whether the user is authorized to
write to the Local/Apps or Network/Apps directories; if he is then the
commandlines with install-local or install-network should be added to
the list. Maybe adding a "make install will use the default directory
for installation. The default dir is <dir>" when the used parameter
differs, would be helpful, too

Regards,
Martin