Re: isKindOf: - GSObjCIsKindOf

From: Stefan Böhringer
Subject: Re: isKindOf: - GSObjCIsKindOf
Date: 31 Aug 2001 08:53:33 +0200

On 30 Aug 2001 14:58:24 -0400, Marko Mikulicic wrote:
> Now I understand. GNUstep implements alse the NextStep category of
> NSObject, in which the is a isKindOf: method. The semantics of this
>
> method should be the same as for NextStep. But the current
> implementation uses isKindOfClass instead of directly using the runtime.
> IMHO this should need a fix.
Agreed.

>   Are NextStep compatibility methods going to be obsoleted and no more
> supported ?
I guess so.

>   I've looked on the OpenStep specs in the NSObject protocol
> and there is only mentioned the instance method isKindOfClass: which
> checks for inheritance.
>   There is no word about the different behaviour for class and instance
> methods.
> I couldn't look at apple's documentation because their server is
> rejecting me every second page ("forbidden"),
> althrough if I remember well I seen the same.
I remember having had difficulties finding the methods, too, but they
are definitly there.

> Marko
>

> PS:
> I want to make additions in the gstep-db library and I don't want to
> clutter code adding methods to NSObject (like the isSubclassOf proposal
> of Nicola. Also a class is not a subclass of itself) if the same
> functionality is accessible though the FoundationKit.
In my opinion something like +isSubclassOf: (another proposal how to
name it: +canCreateInstancesOfClass:) should go to GNUstep extensions
since the functionality is definitly needed.

Best wishes,
        Stefan