Re: installing apps automatically in the ~/GNUstep/Apps folder

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: installing apps automatically in the ~/GNUstep/Apps folder
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:40:31 +0200

Hi Nicola, -

I know about that parameter, thanks. But I don't think that a normal
GNUstep user who's just and only user (eg on a big multi user system in
a company) does know about that. The user might just wonder (and
complain) why the app cannot be installed....

Well, of course, the admin might add GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR =
$(GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT) to the shell startup files.....

Anyway, seems like I care too much :-)

Greetings,
Martin

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:24:12 +0100 (BST), Nicola Pero wrote:

>If you add
>
>GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR = $(GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT)
>
>at the beginning of the top-level GNUmakefile, the application should get
>automatically installed into ~/GNUstep/Apps.
>
>I'm not sure if this is as cool as what you describe ... but it makes 100%
>sure you know where you are installing things ... :-)
>
>> Hi, -
>>
>> I was playing around a bit on my gstep system and noticed that openapp
>> also searches the ~/GNUstep/Apps folder, now I have a question:
>> When doing 'make install' for an application, would it be possible that
>> the make prorgam checks whether the executing user is authorized to
>> write to the system wide Apps direcotries, and - if not - automatically
>> installs the program in the users ~/GNUstep/Apps folder?
>>
>> I think that would be pretty cool and would definitively help
>> administrators as well as users.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Martin

---
fork (2) - New processes are created by other processes, just like new humans.
New humans are created by other humans, of course, not by processes. (Unix
System Administration Handbook)