Re: JXTA for ObjC (was: Re: a simple program)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: JXTA for ObjC (was: Re: a simple program)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:49:50 +0000

On Friday, August 17, 2001, at 06:29 PM, Frederic wrote:

Hi Aurelien,

Now JXTA for ObjC pros:

- ObjC is arguably faster than Java;

I don't fully agree with that statement. Most JVM have made huge progresses
and the gap between the two languages has considerably decreased.
Of course, this is based on my personal experience and does not necessarily
match your experience.

I have found ObjC code to be MUCH faster under Linux/Intel than Java code
running with the Sun JVM.  Certainly it's a lot easier to optimise ObjC
code as the language lets you get closer to the hardware - but I think
that for naive, unoptimised code there is little inherent difference .

In most cases the actual coding/design and the programmers understanding
of the performance issues involved in a particular software solution are
hugely more significant than the language used.