Re: FYI: GIMP Cocoa

From: strobe anarkhos
Subject: Re: FYI: GIMP Cocoa
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:02:51 -0700

At 6:09 PM +0200 8/16/01, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've found this just by accident:
>
>http://www.macgimp.org/article.php?sid=37&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
>
>I think, if they are creating GIMP for Cocoa, it should not be difficult to
>have it also on GNUstep. This can be a good 'magnet' for new people.
>
>Stefan

Perhaps you should actually look at the GIMP source code before creating
excitement and anticipation (which as an OS X user, I have absolutely none
here).

GIMP, much like GTK, is designed from top to bottom to be used in X11. It's not
designed in a manner which lends itself to be written as a Cocoa application so
it will use Cocoa classes to do its user interface elements, or its graphics
display, or its printing, or frankly anything without a complete rewrite (at
which point I have to ask what the bloomin point would be).

It is what it is, an X11 app with a horrid interface. macgimp.org has now even
made THEMES for GIMP, woohoo! Now we can all PRETEND!

Seriously now, if you think that the GIMP source lends itself to becoming a
Cocoa app (and not just a cheesy front-end to avoid using the X11 display
server in OS X) explain how that would be possible. Otherwise I think this
subject is dead for all eternity.