Re: core archive corrupted

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: core archive corrupted
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:14:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

--- Tyson Whitehead <twhitehe@uwo.ca> wrote:
> Gregory Casamento wrote:
>
> > > We've update ftp server on July 27. I've checked the proftpd site but
> found
> > > nothing about a probleme like that. We've
> > > installed the last version.
> >
> > This coincides very well with when I started to see the problem.   Could we
> go
> > back to the previous version to see if that alleviates the problem?
> >
> > Maybe upgrading my client might help as well.
>
> I finally located the RFC for the FTP protocol.  It's number 542.  To quote:
>
> ERROR RECOVERY AND RESTART
>
>    There is no provision for detecting bits lost or scrambled in data
>    transfer.  This issue is perhaps handled best at the NCP level where
>    it benefits most users.
>
> As best as I can tell the NCP (network control protocol?) in our case would
> be
> TCP.  So it looks like the 16 bit checksum in the TCP packet is about the
> only
> form of error protection a guy gets.  FTP sounds like kind of a lame protocol
> in
> my books *grin*.
>
> Anyway, if it was me and all the hops to the host checked out, I would have
> wonder about my TCP stack not checking checksums.  If it was the server I
> would
> expect others to be having problems as well (of course, maybe there is
> something
> specific in the way your client talks to the server that brings out a bug --
> try
> a different ftp program?).
>
> Any chance you updated to a kernel with a flaky TCP stack lately?

No.  Since I use my machine mainly for development I try to keep things as
stable as possible.   I am using the stock kernel (not the experimental 2.4
version which came w/ it) which came w/ SuSE Linux 7.1 Professional.  I
addition, as I said before, downloads have worked for me since I upgraded to
SuSE Linux 7.1 for the past 3 or so months until now.

> -T
>
> --
>  Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe_nospam@nospam_uwo.ca -- WSC 140-)
>  Computer Engineer                          Dept. of Applied Mathematics,
>  Graduate Student- Applied Mathematics      University of Western Ontario,
>  GnuPG Key ID# 0x8A2AB5D8                   London, Ontario, Canada

=====
Gregory John Casamento