Multi Thread applications with GNUstep

From: Pierre-Yves Rivaille
Subject: Multi Thread applications with GNUstep
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:27:05 +0200 (MET DST)

I'm developing a multithreaded application with GNUstep (i hope to
release an alpha version soon), and I'm facing a few problems.

There are two threasd: the main thread (with the AppKit runloop) and one
worker thread. I want to display the progress of the work being done by
the worker thread.

The problem I face is that whenever the AppKit thread is in a
NSEventTrackingRunLoopMode tracking loop (typically when you press
the mouse button on a NSButton, NSSlider, NSMenu), I can not
display the updates. (I've tried to do this using DO)

It looks like the proper way to do this is just to use
-setNeedsDisplay: in the working thread (at least, that is what I read in
MOSX doc:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/ThreadSupport.html).
But GNUstep does not seems to be supporting this.

Do I miss something or should I try to implement this behaviour in
GNUstep ?

bye,

Pierre-Yves Rivaille