RE: GWorkspace problem

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: RE: GWorkspace problem
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 02:47:03 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Bissell, Tim wrote:

> > An other thing: don't use GWorkspace to debug NSBrowser! Its browser
> > class, GWBrowser, is now a custom class.
> > There was too much particolarities, no column titles but
> > column icons, the
> > scroller on the top, a different behaviour in scrolling the columns,
> > etc...
>
> Hmmm, my FileViewer used the bog-standard NSBrowser API and worked
> perfectly (i.e. like the OpenStep FileViewer) when run on OpenStep.
> And MacOS X for that matter; a small tweak and it compiles - and looks a
> lot better than Apple's Carbon 'Finder' effort!
>
> Remember that the horiz. scroller above the NSBrowser is associated
> with the 'icon path' above it, not the NSBrower below it - the
> horizontal scrolling of the NSBrowser is synchronised with the icon
> path, not the other way round.

Until the last release of GWorkspace, I've used exactly this solution.
But, even if the method used to synchronize the icon path with the browser
columns was 90% copied from a openstep app found in IconKit-4.2, I've
always had many problems.

I've also had a (little) modified version that ran well on openstep but
gave many problems with gnustep...

Actually, there is not a 'icon path' anymore.
Instead, each icon belows to its column and the scroller is the NSBrowser
scroller moved on the top.
In [GWBrowser _tile] all the stuff is automatically drawn in the right
place...

It is not my intention to split the development/debugging of NSBrowser,
also because, actually, the GWBrowser class is good *as it is*; only some
debugging is needed.

I've only thinked that this is a reasonable and more efficient solution...

Enrico