Re: I'm confused - Its getting better

From: Xavier . Barrier
Subject: Re: I'm confused - Its getting better
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:30:59 +0200

Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:
> Xavier.Barrier@proxyware.fr wrote:
> > However, GNUStep web site does point out that distribution is not stable
on Windows using neither Cygwin nor MinGW.

> > Speaking about MinGW, it does mention version GCC 2.95.2.
> >
> > When having a look to MinGW web site, reference is given about release
2.95.3 due to an Obj-C port.

> GNUstep on MingW is unstable in the sense that there are several
> (potentially) important parts of the base library that don't work on
> MinGW, and also there is no AppKit backend library for windows. It's
> pretty stable on Cygwin now.

I don't get your point "(potentially)" regarding MinGw : does works, or
crash ?

However, i thaught there was kind of a problem beetween Cygnus and FSF
regarding GCC port and maintenance over Windows.
Reason for the switch to MinGW more promising despite not using Win32 API.

> The ObjC compiler was dropped from Cygwin and Mingw for awhile, but with
> some recent urging from Windows/ObjC enthusiasts, the MingW team made a
> new release that includes the ObjC compiler (Thanks MingW guys!).
>

> > Regarging deployement on Windows is ffcall available (we use massivly DO
communication), and is AppKit planned any days using either DGS or any other
system.

This is good news, why isn't it reported on www.gnustep.org ?

> There's been interest in getting AppKit for Windows working, but no one
> has actually done it yet.

Excuse me to come at the end of story, but what is the heck to get AppKit on
Windows?

I mean, AFAIK GhostScipt does exists on Windows, and run correctly to my low
knowledge, i do not use Windows : only OpenStep Mach 4.2!

So if GhostScript exists, DGS might not be that far, does it?

Cheers

Xavier BARRIER
ProxyWare SARL 37 Bld des Capucines 75002 Paris France
Financial Software Company

Tel : (+33) 1 53 45 35 50
Fax : (+33) 1 53 45 35 98
e-mail : xavierb@proxyware.fr