RE: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re: gnuste

From: Mondragon, Ian
Subject: RE: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits))
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:59:41 -0500

wow...look at that...Interface buzz!  thanks for the hint drop, chris!  he's
right though, in that i've been pretty tied up with xMach development
lately, which has led me to put Interface on a temporary hold.  note that i
said *temporary*...development will continue soon, as the particular project
i'm working on (for xMach) should be completed within the next few days.

there's a rather pitifull (really) screenshot of Interface on
http://www.dragonhelix.org for those of you that are interrested & haven't
seen it, along with the notice that i halted development for the past month
or so.  at this point, it's pretty much an *objective-c* version of AEWM, as
opposed to a pure *GNUstep* window manager, per se.  it's also buggier than
hell at the present time <har har>, with no hooks in place for
GWorkspace.app.

it does, however, obtain several settings from the GNUstepDefaults database
upon startup, so it's a beginning.  i'm trying to plan how to go about
moving the contraption away from making direct X calls to utilizing
XGPS/XDPS almost exclusively, thereby making it the "pure" GNUstep WM, no
exceptions.  however, that turns out to be deceptively complicated, so any
input would be highly appreciated (as mr. pero's advice has been on a couple
occasions).  the nice thing is that it currently is comprised entirely of
only 2 classes and a controller file...so the code base is fairly tiny.

let me know if you have any questions. please cc: me at

                copal @ dragonhelix . org

though...

- ian mondragon