Re: Memory Leak in GDO

From: Rene Cornils
Subject: Re: Memory Leak in GDO
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:44:49 +0200 (METDST)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 26, 2001, at 04:52 PM, Rene Cornils wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I encountered a significant memory leak when using GDO (base 1.0.1).
> > Even
> > for very simple programs, both client and server consume more and more
> > memory on every transaction (the server side seems to be more affected
> > by
> > this problem).
> > Below you can find some simple source code for demonstration.
> >
> > Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Any help is highly
> > appreciated.
>
> Is this a problem for you in 1.0.2?
>
> It doesn't seem to happen on my system.
>
> I *did* turn off caching of port coders by default between those two
> versions -
> perhaps there was a bug in the caching code?

I've checked the simple example with 1.0.2. Although memory growing
seems not to be as rapid as before, both sides still comsume more and
more memory. The server starts with 2.4MB (top), reaching more than
10MB after some minutes (client running).

If this problem doesn't occur on your system, what's the trick?
I'm using gcc 2.95.2, ffcall-1.8a, make-1.0.1, objc-1.0.1,
base-1.0.2 compiled with
    LIBS=-posix; ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/GNUstep
    make shared=yes debug=no install

Thank you very mouch
Rene