Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:47:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Martin Brecher wrote:

> Well, another option might be to do it the mac os way:
> GNUstep could provide an (horizontal) menubar app which sits at the top
> of the screen (and might eventually be customizeable regarding position
> and size), where the menus of the current focused app are drawn.
> Would this be possible? (without too much effort/rewriting?)
>
> This way, GS would also stay consistent with Mac OS... maybe someone
> would even create a aqua like theme and window manager.
> Apart from that I like this idea also more than the windows way because
> it saves screen size (btw, wtf at MS invented those damn windows icon
> bars that are so screen consumpting but have so ugly small icons???)
>
> As usual, just my 2 cents ;-)
>
> - Martin
>
> p.s.: Who else on the list is speaking German? Maybe together we could
> write an GNUstep article for a German computer magazine?

I'm from Regensburg, Germany.
Unfortunately GNUstep CVS don't work anymore for me (gcc-3.0 fails
building base, gcc-2.95.3 with libobjc worked).
I worked for OneVision, Germany, and wrote some small OPENSTEP
modules/applications. I didn't use GNUstep for writing OpenStep-
Apps for quite some time (more than 1 year), therefore I don't
know the exact status of the GNUstzep project.
But I know about OpenStep-API and I *love* it (and ObjC)!
Moreover I move away from Germany (to Ireland or Scotland) beginning
of September, therefore I don't have much time.
I'm willing to help you, but I need your help and we should
do it in the next 6 weeks!

sersn max