Re: iconv...

From: James Fletemeyer
Subject: Re: iconv...
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:48:02 -0500

James Fletemeyer wrote:

> "Chris B. Vetter" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 23 May 2001 22:01:44 -0600
> > Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:
> > > OK. Unicode.m now includes giconv if we're using libgiconv. Please let
> > > me know if that works.
> >
> > Yes, it compiles smoothly (CVS check out, last Friday; FreeBSD-4.3;
> > gcc 2.95.3; libxml2 and -lgiconv).
> >
> > However, is it just me, my setup, or does libgnustep-xgps only work
> > properly on Window Maker?
> > I've tried several applications, eg Gorm and GWorkspace, and they all
> > seg-fault'd if started with any window manager I've tried, except
> > Window Maker (0.65.0, installed from Ports).
> > There, they work fine, as long as you don't close windows using ESC. In
> > that case, all windows, including the menu(s) will minimize...
> >
> > libgnustep-xdps works fine on all window managers (but looks kinda ugly).
> >
> > Oh, I'm not sure if it's important or needed, but neither configure, for
> > xgps and xdps, seems to "find" X11/extensions/XShm.h, though it does exist
> > and is supported by X11.
>
> I have tried several snapshots from 5/17 - 5/29
> and all examples segfault on startup.
>
> I am running Debian potato upgraded to
> Progeny1.0 (newton).
> gcc = 2.95.2
> no ffcall
> no xml2
> no openssl
> no gnustep_objc
>
> The combination of base 1.0, make 1.0, gui 0.6.8 and xgps 0.6.8
> works fine with this set-up. I had been using Mandrake 7.2
> with early April snapshots and they worked well.
> Mandrake had 2.95.3 I think. I use enlightenment but switching
> to windowmaker 0.6.2 did not help.
>
> I notice that xgps builds by default as a bundle. I
> would like to try building as a library. It's just not
> obvious to me how to go about this. Have I missed a
> simple configure option ?
>
> jim

I have discovered that my problem stems
from not having an existing ~/GNUstep/.GNUstepDefaults.
I had compiled and installed the snapshots as root and not
used WindowMaker as root. The official releases of GNUstep
seem to handle creating this file but the snapshots do not at
least from 5/17 on. This does not seem to shed any light
though on the problem Chris has.

jim