Re: Thred, Sockets, timers and runloop

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Thred, Sockets, timers and runloop
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:23:01 +0100

On Friday, April 27, 2001, at 10:51 AM, Manuel Guesdon wrote:

I work on a gsweb application which should handle and timers in a different threads.

basically gsweb create a NSFileHandle like that
        [NSFileHandle fileHandleAsServerAtAddress:host
service:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"%d",port]
                            protocol:@"tcp"] retain];
and wait for NSFileHandleConnectionAcceptedNotification notification

in my application, I create a new thread ( [NSThread detachNewThreadSelector:@selector(runTimerThread:)
            toTarget:self
            withObject:nil]) and add timers.

Now I want that this thread handle timers ticks and that the main thread still responds to incoming connections.

I've tried many things these last days (and found strange problems) but none worked.

Any idea about how to do this ?

There is one default NSRunLoop instance per thread.

If you schedule a timer, it is added to the current runloop (unless you create an instance and
add it to a particular runloop).

This means that timers are thread specific, and they only fire if the runloop that they were
added to is in use.

So what you have described should work ... your timer thread would create the timers then enter the runloop and run indefinately. As timers fire it should send notifications.

As there is only one notification center, the observer registered in another thread should
still see the notification.

You don't actually say what the problem is ... if you could produce a small testcase demonstrating
it, I could try debugging.