Re: Another library irregularity

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Another library irregularity
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:36:41 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

> Dennis Leeuw wrote:
> > My gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps dir also contains:
> > -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        47426 Apr  4 12:34 font_cacher
> > which is not in Tools/ nor in Tools/ix86/linux-gnu
> >

> I have one in Tools. If it was installed correctly, you should also.

Sorry you are right I do also. My mistake, was looking in the wrong dir.

> All
> Tools should have a script with them.
>
> > IMHO, I think it would be better if the PATH stays as it is, but the
> > wrapper scripts are removed. With a correct PATH the tool will be found
> > anyway and now a lot of Tools
> > are accessed by scripts which adds to the problem, and confusion.
> >
> > The current problem is:
> > bash-2.03$ which gdnc
> > /opt/GNUstep/System/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/gdnc
> > This is the executable, not the wrapper script. So,
> > bash-2.03$ gdnc
> > gdnc: error in loading shared libraries: libgnustep-base.so.0: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
> >

> Well that would be solved by using the scripts. And it has nothing to do
> with PATH.

True. But reversing the paths would find the script and not the executable. If
we stick with the scripts, this should be solved for user-friendlyness.

> I don't really care whether we use the scripts or not. We should decide
> and stick with it.

I completely agree.

> Taking out the scripts would make it less confusing,
> but apparently, no less frustrating.

True also, certainly when environment vars seem to disappear, like
LD_LIBRARY_PATH sometimes does. That's what I like about the wrapper scripts,
they make sure all vars are
well, but then again 'which' should find the script, not the binary.

With the scripts we can circumvent ld.so.conf, if we take out the scripts we
have a problem with different backends.

Greetings,

Dennis