Re: Another library irregularity

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Another library irregularity
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:21:06 +0100

On Wednesday, April 11, 2001, at 09:51 AM, Steve Núñez wrote:

This is what leads me to think that there may be some problem. I'm not a beginner when it comes to Unix, compilers and building programs, and I'm convinced there's something not quite right (or perhaps my understanding of the GNUStep environment needs improvement, which is why I'm asking here).

I have configured these things, in that order, as listed in the installation instructions on http://www.made- it.com/GNUstep/Build/idx.html. The fact that most of the other packages (seemed) to build correctly makes me think that the gnustep-make package is installed correctly. The very first thing I did was add the GNUStep.sh line to my .bash_profile, and so I'm sure the environment is set up correctly. For some reason, guile doesn't seem to be cooperating, and I'm also having trouble running the LogTest example and the 'defaults program as well. As an example, here are the results of running LogTest from two different directories:

[nunez@jupiter gnustep-guile-1.0.0]$ pwd
/home/nunez/GNUStep/gnustep-guile-1.0.0
[nunez@jupiter gnustep-guile-1.0.0]$ LogTest
LogTest: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-
xdps/libgnustep-base.so.0: undefined symbol: __objc_msg_forward

Ok ... the above message tells me exactly what the problem is, though perhaps not what is causing it.

The symbol __objc_msg_forward should be defined in libobjc.
The base library wouldn't have been trying to use this symbol unless its configure script found it in the library, so the library must be (or have been) present on your system.

My initial guess was that your library path was not set up correctly ... as you say you have done all the environment stuff, a second guess is that somehow an old version of the objc library is
being loaded in at runtime!

Perhaps a search of your system, and deletion of any existing copies of the objc library would cure things? I seem to remember someone mentioning that RedHat-7 supplies an old copy of the objc library with an incorrect version number (set to indicate that it's a later version thaan it really is) ... perhaps this could be your problem?