Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework

From: Brian Powell
Subject: Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 21:00:31 -0600

On Monday, April 9, 2001, at 07:28 PM, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
Writting  C functions could  do the  job, but  this would  probably be
quite labor intensive.

A better way would be, IMHO, to take advantage of the dynamical aspect
of Objective-C.   Have a look at objc/objc.h  and objc/objc-api.h. The
Objective-C machinery  is published  as C functions  that you  can use
directly  from C++. You  could write  a single  C++ class  "ObjC" that
would allow  you to instanciate  Objective-C objects and to  send them
Objective-C messages. Minimally, something like this:

Pascal, thank you for the suggestion. I will look into this and make some small demos. The only question regarding that is how would the ObjC make a corresponding call to C++? That is why I believed that a C wrapper may be the requirement.

Note however  that the Objective-C  runtimes have some  differences in
GNUstep and MacOSX,  which means that two versions  of this ObjC class
(or two concrete subclasses) would have to be written

No problem, I would tend to believe that once I've figured out how to do it, it shouldn't be TOO terribly different between the two (famous last words). Isn't Apple contributing their gcc version of objc back to egcs?

Thanks for the support!

--Brian