Re: GNUstep on Darwin

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Darwin
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 01:26:51 +0200

LHelldorf@kabel.de wrote:
> O.K. New Start. Since it is not possible to have a Darwin/GNUstep
> System that runs Mac OS X Cocoa Binaries I want to have a System that
> simply runs.

Ok, sounds way easier though still difficult ;-)

> I want to reach that goal with the tools I've got with Darwin
> (especially the compiler which seems to be a derivate of gcc 2.95.2 as
> the People from darwin-development@lists.apple.com told me) plus maybe
> some extra tools.

This is wrong. Only the gcc driver is gcc 2.95.2, the ObjC compiler is
still the old, 2.7.x based NeXT compiler.
Stan Shebs of Apple is working on porting up the NeXT changes to a
recent gcc, hopefully this will work out sometime in the future.

> I want to take the way with the least pitfalls.

Hm, currently GNUstep on Darwin has quite some pitfalls (and indeed I
know  no one who has successfully done that)

> I read the Dokumentation of gnustep-make and know now that i'll have
> to build a nx-gnu-gnu-gnu library combo since I'll have to use Darwins
> Objective C runtime (must be libobjc.A.dylib, libobjc.A_profile.dylib,
> libobjc.dylib, libobjc_profile.dylib in /usr/lib/). I think I have to
> make gnustep-base, gnustep-gui, gnustep-xgps and WindowMaker and I
> don't need to make gnustep-libobjc, but what about ffcall, libxml,
> dgs, gnustep-guile and openssl, will I need them, will they run?

I don't think ffcall runs on PowerPC. I'm not sure whether gstep-base
depends on it, I don't think so. I have doubts that gstep-base will
compile with the nx runtime out of the box.
You won't need dgs and gnustep-guile. Openssl should come with Darwin
and libxml should be easy to port and use.

> Then You said something about a possible nx-nx-gnu-gnu combo. Is this
> possible with plain vanilla Darwin, is there a Foundation library
> somewhere? And which packages would I need to compile and install
> then?

No, this isn't possible with plain Darwin because of the missing
Foundation library, it's possible with MacOSX.

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com/
Web Application Technology for Enterprises