Re: gnustep-base problem on win32

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gnustep-base problem on win32
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:58:17 +0100

On Friday, March 30, 2001, at 11:53 AM, Helge Hess wrote:

> Suggestion: put such stuff in bundles. That way you can support any
> scheme and you don't have such a tight connection to specific libraries.
> (eg in RPMs you will need to either require OpenSSL or leave it out
> completly, two pkgs are much nicer).

I'm inclined to agree ... however, I don't have time to implement such a change
at
the moment, and it certainly won't get into the 1.0.0 release since we already
have
a code freeze for that.

Another candidate for bundling would be the XML support.

I'm not sure that there would be any practical advantage for distribution
though ...
Most people wanting a binary only RPM solution would just be inclined to get one
RPM with everything in it, rather than getting a main RPM and separate ones for
various bundles.
I'd guess that most people also want some features as standard rather than
optional
extras, so file, http, and https schemes may need to be there, while gopher,
wais,
(perhaps ftp since most people use http for file downloads nowadays) probably
do not.