Re[2]: Shared Library Question

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[2]: Shared Library Question
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:12:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:18:29 -0500 David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com>
wrote:
 >| An interesting suggestion.  I've been avoiding glibc-2.2 because a few
 >| months ago I made a big mistake.  I upgraded just one file
 >| ---  /lib/glibc-2.2....  As I recall the rpm I used must have deleted
 >| glibc-2.1 (or something) and my system got totally hosed.  However, I
 >| interpret your suggestion as building glibc-2.2.x and manually copying
 >| libc-2.2.x.so and libpthread-0.x.so to (maybe) /usr/local/lib.

I've probably installed them with rpm -i --force so it installed the new
version, overrided libc.so.6,... but didn't
remove old libc.so.2.1.... files.

It's not a very good method but I haven't a better one.

 >| P.S.  I still want to know how to make a program use an old library ...

I think you can use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to specify the directory containing your
old libraries:
Create a diectory, put the old libraries in  it and call your programe like
that:
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=TheDirectory ./theProgram
I don't know exactly the action of this variable... I think it tell which
directory to search first for libraries

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <mguesdon@oxymium.net>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998