Re: "toll-free bridging"

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: "toll-free bridging"
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:21:38 +0000 (GMT)

> > > Can GNUStep use Apple's "Core Foundation"?
> >
> >I don't think so. See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html> for
> >details.
>
> Just because Core Foundation is licensed under the APSL doesn't mean you
> can't link against it.
> The restriction is the other way around. You can use APSL code as you
> wish, just don't expect all changes you make (if any) to be rolled back
> into Darwin.
>
> As far as the FSF, their line is if it isn't GNU it's BAD. They're very
> political.

I had precisely tried to avoid this topic to avoid the flamewar.

I don't like the APSL and won't contribute a single comma of code to
projects under that license - *ever*.  If you are happy with the
restrictions they put, it probably means you don't contribute any code,
otherwise the fact that a huge greedy corporation is just taking your code
and your work for free in the way Apple does and with the arrogance they
show, would bother you quite a lot.

The FSF might be political, but they believe in what they say, they give
anyone the same rights they have for themselves, and what they want is to
make the world better - not to squeeze money out of other people's
pockets.  Which btw doesn't mean they stop other people from creating
succesful businesses basing on FSF free software.