Re: "toll-free bridging"

From: strobe anarkhos
Subject: Re: "toll-free bridging"
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 04:15:57 -0800

At 11:55 AM +0000 3/16/01, Nicola Pero wrote:
> > Can GNUStep use Apple's "Core Foundation"?
>
>No - and as far as I know there are no plans about it - whatever you mean
>by `using'.
>
>If you want to write code which is (or `potentially will be') portable
>between apple cocoa and gnustep, don't use any `Core Foundation', because
>that is *not* portable and I don't think it will *ever* be.

My first priority is to write model classes which are portable and can be used
by everybody involved. Core Foundation allows me to do this, GNUStep's
Foundation does not.

My view classes will be written for OS X's AppKit. If I can't use these classes
in GNUStep that's water under the bridge, it's not a priority. People writing
view classes for other platforms will just have to use something else.