Re: you may not have wanted it...

From: gLaNDix
Subject: Re: you may not have wanted it...
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:02:52 -0600 (CST)

My vote goes for the more NeXT-ish feel, since I have never had the
oppertunity of working on a NeXT box...

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Ian Mondragon wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:05:47 -0500
> From: Ian Mondragon <copal@dragonhelix.org>
> To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: you may not have wanted it...
>
> ok - i'm home, sitting at my computer and feeling kind of groggy due to the
> enormous amount of novacaine & nitrous in my system (just had a root canal -
> yuk).  but as i start to integrate GWorkspace into Interface, i'd like to pose
> a question to everybody; what would you like to see more:
>
>       - Interface + GWorkspace (thus a more NeXT-ish WM)
>       - Interface + it's own menus (ala WindowMaker, using NSMenu)
>
> ???
>
> i'm organizing the menus so that they're loaded from a bundle, so we could, in
> theory, have either.  i'm used to NeXT since i still work on it every day, but
> i'm also very fond of WM's menu system.  so unless i get a crowd of people
> vehemently disagreeing, i am going to pursue the GWorkspace route first.
>
> comments?
>
> - ian mondragon
>
> * Ian Mondragon <ian.mondragon@bankofamerica.com> [03/14/01 16:52]:
> > with
> > |
> > |Anyway, once GWorspace is integrated, the window manager does not need
> > |any menu. Enough with its defaults and the Preference app.
> >
> > now i feel like a true bonehead.  that is *SUCH* a good idea, and truly
> > obvious thing to point out <grin>.  when i get home i'll start doing that.

> > detail
> > right
> > |
> > |Grr. Does not matter, we want to try it ! Download ! Download !
> >
> > ah, but the big proglum right now is that when i click on any of the mouse
> > buttons, it dumps core (and sounds something roughly like, "whirrrrrr bang
> > pooey", in case you were interrested.)
> >
> > but not to fear.  i'm cleaning up the code, and working on the cursor issue.
> > i'm going to try to have the code in a state suitable for public viewing
> > within the next couple of weeks once i get it to at least pull up a terminal
> > :-)
> >
> > - ian mondragon
> >
> > > --
> > > __Pascal Bourguignon__    PGP Key ID:      0xEF5E9966
> > > (o_
> > > mailto:pjb@imaginet.fr    PGP fingerprint: 00 F5 7B DB CA 51 8A AD 04 5B
> > > //\
> > > http://informatimago.free.fr/index         6C DE 32 60 16 8E EF 5E 99 66
> > > V_/
> > >
> > > () Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email and Microsoft
> > > attachments.
> > > /\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the
> > > world.
> > >    Join the LPF:     http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/
> > > http://petition.eurolinux.org/

> --
> @end
>
> Ian Mondragon  - < copal @ dragonhelix . org >
>
> < h t t p : // d r a g o n h e l i x . o r g >
>
> <<< F r e e B S D -- O b j e c t i v e - C >>>

<<< Linux lloydix 2.4.0 #5 Tue Jan 23 17:34:44 CST 2001 i586 unknown >>>

 Bart: What am I supposed to do here?
Homer: Nothing.  Just sit.  I'll be back.
        [walks away, revealing a giant "Laramie Slims" billboard,
        featuring a girl in lingerie having a pillow fight with another
        girl in a skimpy shirt and panties]
        [time passess...]
Homer: Well, it's been two hours.  How do you feel?
 Bart: I dunno.  I kinda want a cigarette.
Homer: That's a good start.  Let's get you a pack.  What's your brand?
 Bart: Anything slim!
Homer: [grunts]  [to himself] Okay, that didn't work.
                -- All good plans have cracks, "Homer's Phobia"