Re: GNUstep directory in userhome

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory in userhome
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:53:24 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 6, 2001, at 06:17 AM, Dennis Leeuw wrote:
>

> > Wouldn't it be more more useful to use one system for all, LDAP ?
> >

> My initial reaction was 'good idea' ... then I thought about it a bit,
> checked out some LDAP references on the web...
>
> For all that the 'L' stands for 'lightweight', LDAP support would actually
> be very heavyweight in comparison to existing NSUserDefaults code, and I can't
> actually see what we would gain ... we would be using a small subset of LDAP
> capabilities, and I think that having to have an LDAP server running in order
> to user the defaults system would be a pain.  In fact, configuration issues
> like deciding which LDAP server to connect to are generally addressed by
> setting
> values in the user defaults :-)

Which could be solved by having a single config file with just one line like:
ldap-server    <ip-ldap-server>

> My inclination is to say that NSUserDefaults should be based upon the simplest
> possible code, with the fewest possible external dependencies.  It needs to be
> extremely reliable because if it goes wrong it can really screw everything up.

The benefit would be that we could extend the use of LDAP as a GNUstep default
db
which could also contain address-books and and stuff like that, the user
database,
etc. I think that LDAP would fit in the NeXT style of thinking, which in my
opinion
is the idea of the client is the server.

Just some thoughts...

Dennis